Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Don't Forget!

First of all, I saw Evening last night. It was the funniest movie of the year thus far. That's the problem. However, Mamie Gummer was fantastic, somehow managing to take this god awful script and turn it into something real. However, every other element about the film is headed for my worst of the year awards.

Now, this post is to all the Academy members out there. Listening? Good. As many have been doing, I want to remind the Academy about the quality films released in the first half of the year, so that they will remember to recognize them come January. I understand that there's no chance in hell that that will happen, but I just want to do my part, lol. Here goes...

FILMS

Waitress
-This incredibly smart, funny and touching is my favorite film of the year so far. The movie takes the seemingly unoriginal plotline "an unhappily married woman discovers she's pregnant" and turns it into something heartwarming and irresistable.

The Namesake-While I realize there's absolutely no chance that this will get any Oscar nods anywhere, myself and critics alike have recognized that this is simply a great movie. And, although my letter grade for this film has been lowered from an "A" to an "A-", I still adore it.

Away From Her-Even though the raves for Julie Christie's performance may be strong enough to last her till winter, I still think it's unlikely. And while Christie is collecting all the buzz for her fantastic performance (even though I think that it is a supporting role, and that Gordon Pinsent upstages her), I would love to see the screenplay or something rewarded, too.

4 comments:

RC said...

you just keep on reminding hollywood of the films they ought to remember, and who knows who might be listening.

that's the great thing about blogs, writing this post will also help you not forget.

Brian Erickson said...

Hmm. Well, we'll hope for the best.

Oh, and I saw Knocked Up today. A million times better than the horrific "The 40 Year Old Virgin." Loved it, loved it, loved it. A-

Anonymous said...

no love for Ratatouille?

Brian Erickson said...

Haven't seen it yet. I'll see it sometime this week. Looks great.