Friday, July 27, 2007

The Simpsons Movie in Review

As you know if you read the blog frequently, The Simpsons Movie was my most anticipated movie ever. It seemed impossible to live up to my expectations, as The Simpsons is my favorite television series of all time, and I consider even the horrifically underrated seasons 11-17 phenomenal. Well, it turned out that the movie version of my beloved program was not only as good as the show, but even a little bit better. It featured all of my favorite characters (except, lamentably, Mrs. Krabappel, who has some screen time, but never talks. Oh well. Just another reason to buy the DVD and see the deleted scenes), a surprisingly good plot and voice-over work that should qualify for Oscar nominations, mostly from Julie Kavner and Dan Castellaneta. I am still shocked that the film lived up to my huge expectations. The plot is truly the best kept Hollywood secret since the ending to The Sixth Sense, and hopefully this will draw back viewers who left the show several years ago. I can easily see this making my end-of-the-year list. A

No comments: