Friday, June 8, 2007

Predictions: Round Two (Best Supporting Actor)

GRR! My friends went to see Knocked Up without me! Now I'll have to sneak in alone.

Well, I'll occupy myself with these new predix.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Tom Wilkinson-Michael Clayton-I think he'll turn out to be the best part of the film, and he's been snubbed countless times. He's certainly due.

2. Javier Bardem-No Country For Old Men-The fact that he has all the buzz right now is both a strength and a weakness.

3. Ed Sanders-Sweeney Todd-Tobias is a fantastic character, and if he pulls it off, he'll be the newcomer of the year.

4. Philip Seymour Hoffman-Charlie Wilson's War-He's making great post-Oscar choices (this, The Savages, Doubt), and with such a great year ahead of him, he has to get nominated somewhere. The question is: is this the right film?

5. Mark Ruffalo-Reservation Road-Not exactly due, and his role looks pretty small. Still, the buzz is there.

IN THE RUNNING
6. Clive Owen-The Golden Age-I still have a bad feeling about this project, but there's no denying that Clive is a great actor.

7. Philip Bosco-The Savages-I'm going to be including this great-looking film in my next batch of predictions, but I don't think he'll get the nod.

8. Shaun Tomb-The Kite Runner-The film doesn't look acting-based, so I'll keep the stars of The Kite Runner out of these predix.

9. Geoffrey Rush-The Golden Age-See Clive Owen.

10 (tie). Sacha Baron Cohen-Sweeney Todd-He's horribly miscast in a tiny role. Luckily, the theory of him being nominated has (mostly) drifted away. Now if only that could happen with predicting Bonham Carter in Supporting...

10. Alan Rickman-Sweeney Todd-I essentially just wanted to ramble when I was talking about Cohen, but I think Rickman has a legitimate chance. But the role isn't quite as meaty as some of the other strong male supporting roles in the musical.

5 comments:

David Tolentino said...

don't wait too long for knocked up... it's hilarious

Brian Erickson said...

I've been wanting to see Knocked Up for a while. Of course, I made the mistake of telling that to my sadistic friends. They called me *right* after they got out of the theater.

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing it Sunday. I'm so so excited.

Anonymous said...

Also, that's like I'm really excited not like I'm only so-so excited.

Brian Erickson said...

My parents are trying out a belated technique of not letting me see R rated movies, so I'll have to sneak in. Grr!