Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thoughts on AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies 10th Anniversary Edition

The biggest news in the film business right now is, of course, last night's 100 Years...100 Movies redux from the American Film Insititute, arguably Hollywood's most respected organization. We'll do five things that were good, and five things that weren't so good (in no order).

GOOD
1. The Shawshank Redemption makes the list! After being snubbed last year, it's good to see my second favorite film of all time finally get its deserving spot on the list.

2. Morgan Freeman--my favorite actor--was the host! And what was even better was that they were constantly using the term "AFI", rather than American Film Institute. Glad that they didn't play second to the band.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird goes up to #25. I was hoping it would make the Top 10, but I knew that was kinda irrational. Still, I'm glad it's climbing the list.

4. Toy Story made the list! Enough said.

5. 12 Angry Men made the list. Glad to see one of the most controversial snubs on last decade's list finally get some recognition from AFI.

BAD
1. I know I said that these weren't in order, but seriously, VERTIGO IS THE NINTH BEST FILM OF ALL TIME?!?!? Vertigo? Really? Wow.

2. Fargo is off the list. Um...what? It's become a classic film, but it made the list in 1997. Odd.

3. My favorite film, Sunset Boulevard, goes down to #16.

4. The lack of new films. They advertised it like there would be 7 or 8...but 4? That's questionable.

5. The Sixth Sense makes #89. Don't get me wrong, Sixth Sense is a great thriller, but if they're only going to include four films from the last decade, The Sixth Sense is one of them? Heard of Brokeback Mountain??

What did you guys think? What was left off the list? What was ranked too high? Too low? Discuss!

14 comments:

Michael said...

I am so sick of everyone loving on Citizen Kane, I personally think it is a TERRIBLE film. It really isn't that great! I'm really glad that The Sound of Music is #40 instead of #55. I'm mad that Mary Poppins didn't make the cut, and Casablanca shouldn't have dropped a place. Gone With the Wind should have been higher, uhh that's about it.

Anonymous said...

And what's up with Wizard of Oz moving down 4 spots? It's barely hanging on to the top 10. It's like everybody's essential American classic!

Anonymous said...

The Fargo cut was really hard on me. It's my all time favorite. I'm watching Vertigo tonight so I'll have some comments on it being number 9 later.

PS- Toy Story making the list was awesome.

Ryne said...

The list was a complete joke this time around. The top 20 movies of all-time should be movies I've heard about. The Searchers?!?! jumps from 97 to 12? Raging Bull #4? it was great but not #4 of all-time. Complete waste of my time watching this countdown.
I was happy Toy Story made the list however.

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow. The new additions were honestly in one word crap. By new additions I mean movies that didn't come out in time for the last list, so Toy Story isn't included in that list. Titanic I understand, I can't really complain. I think Saving Private Ryan is one of the most overrated films of all time, I like it and think it's a great film but Shakespeare in Love was leagues better (imho). Fellowship of the Ring over Return of the King and my personal favorite Two Towers. Should this be taken as a "series" spot? Or did split votes hurt the other two? Maybe they should combine them into one movie for the 20th anniversary. And The Sixth Sense? Over Crash, Brokeback Mountain, good night and good luck., Memento, The Pianist, Gangs of New York, American Beauty, etc.

Harry said...

LOTR:ROTK didn't appear???!!!!!!!!Guys that's the classic of the century by a mile!!!!

Brian Erickson said...

Yes it did. The entire series was #50.

Harry said...

Really? Cos the list said: #50 - LOTR:FOTR

Brian Erickson said...

It would be redundant to have more than one LOTR on there. FOTR represents them all.

Harry said...

And why did both "The Godfather" AND "The Godfather, Part II" made the list?

Anonymous said...

Because The Godfather series are more seperate films. Lord of the Rings is the same story being told each time. The Godfathers do not have the same goal in mind each film. Do you see what I'm saying? I'll try and word it better if that made zero sense, haha. Also, because The Godfather series is better than Lord of the Rings.

Brian Erickson said...

The Lord of the Rings series is telling the same story in each volume. The triolgy is one big story. The Godfather and The Godfather Part II have completely different stories--just the same characters.

Ryne said...

No, I think that it is just Fellowship and not the other two. If it was then they would have stated it during the show, which they didnt and the clips they showed were just from #1.

Anonymous said...

It was just the first one. I'm sure that the fact that all three were on the ballot caused split votes. Most voted for the first to represent the series and others chose either one of the other two. If they were all under one name it would've been higher on the list