Monday, March 12, 2007

2007 Predictions: The First Batch (Best Actress)

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett-The Golden Age-I have a strangely good feeling about this, but I really want to see some reviews first. But, like Dreamgirls for Best Picture last year, I can't and won't deny the buzz.

Sigourney Weaver-Snow Cake-I'm really hoping that this is the indie of the year that I'm predicting it to be, and as the trailer indicates it will be. If not, I will look really stupid when this movie makes a total box office of $7 and plays in 1 theater.

Meryl Streep-Lions for Lambs-Meryl Streep is in more than one movie this year. They might not suck. She'll be nominated. It's as simple as that. It'll either be for this or for "Evening" in Supp. Actress, but now I'm being naive and predicting her in both. I mean, she is Meryl. And she's way overdue for a third win (how many actors can say THAT?).

Sarah Jessica Parker-Spinning Into Butter-A very, very, baity role. If she pulls it off, she could easily win. Of course, they might have trouble taking the Sex in the City star seriously on the big screen.

Norah Jones-My Blueberry Nights-I was very unsure if I should predict her, as this could easily be a crash-and-burn performance, but she's in some very good hands. If she does a good job (and I mean a REALLY good job), the rewards will be literally endless.

In The Running
(In No Order)

Scarlett Johansson/Natalie Portman-The Other Boleyn Girl-It seems ironic of me to be predicting The Other Boelyn Girl to be nominated for Best Picture when I'm not predicting either of the two leading ladies for awards, but, unless one of them takes supporting, the vote splitting will keep both of them from getting a nod.

Anne Hathaway-Becoming Jane-She's gotten raves in the UK, but the August release date is troublesome. I can see her getting a GG nod in a second, but the precursors will have the final word on her Oscar chances.

Vanessa Redgrave-Evening-Eh, I should probably be predicting her, but I'm not sure. I really hope she does do well (but then again, this is Vanessa Redgrave. How can she NOT do well?), because I can easily see her winning a second Oscar. Quite overdue.

Jodie Foster-The Brave One-An Oscar favorite, but after slumping behind recently, it'll take a lot for her to get the nod. The fact that it's being released in September doesn't help either. Besides, the plot doesn't sound very baity.

Helena Bonham Carter-Sweeney Todd-She's too young! She could pull it off, but I have my doubts. And even if she does, an Oscar nomination is far from her grasp. It seems like none of the people who are predicting a "Sweeney Todd" sweep really know the show. It's not baity at all. It's just weird (in a very, very good way).

No comments: