Friday, March 9, 2007

The Seven Best Movie Musicals: #1

1. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly
Starring Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds
Nominated for 2 Oscars, Including Best Supporting Actress-Jean Hagen

If I were to end my countdown of the best movie musicals with anything other than the flawless "Singin' in the Rain", it would be anti-climatic. The cast has talent to burn, from Gene Kelly's 10-minute dance eye feast, to Donald O'Connor's unforgettable rendition of "Make 'Em Laugh", to Debbie Reynolds' "Good Morning" and Jean Hagen's stealing of every single scene. I would be hard pressed to find a movie that made me smile more. Hmm. Well I'll start next week's "Seven Best Romance Movies" next week. Meantime, I'm going to go rent this (why does this happen every time I think of this movie??).

2 comments:

Michael said...

ok, well even though I don't agree with like any of your placings here is my Top 7 best musicals...

1. Mary Poppins
2. The Sound of Music
3. Singin' in the Rain
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. Beauty and the Beast
6. The King and I
7. I don't know, there are so many other good ones...

Rob Jacks said...

My #1 hands down, The sound of music.