Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My Favorite Actor & Performance

In relation to David Tolentino's request for a new theme, today's post will be about my favorite actor and performance.

FAVORITE ACTOR: MORGAN FREEMAN
Notable Roles:
Red in The Shawshank Redemption, Eddie Dupris in Million Dollar Baby, Hoke Culburn in Driving Miss Daisy.
Oscar Wins: One for Million Dollar Baby (Best Supporting Actor)
Best Performance: The Shawshank Redemption

This was a tough choice. Peter O'Toole, Meryl Streep, Vanessa Redgrave, Annette Bening, Angela Lansbury, Judi Dench and Patti LuPone were all in consideration. But in the end, I had to go with Morgan Freeman. Everything he says sounds like it's a commandment from God. His voice is so powerful, when he talks he demands your attention. But at the same time, he has a great amount of range. He can do comedy, his best comedic work being in Nurse Betty, or drama, as displayed in The Shawshank Redemption and Million Dollar Baby. Every movie he is in suddenly becomes great (unless we're talking about Batman Begins. Not even he could save that). I have yet to see him give an unsatisfactory performance, and I think he is the only actor that I can say that about, except for maybe Peter O'Toole.

His performance in The Shawshank Redemption is by far his best--and I'm not just saying that because it's my second favorite movie of all time. He deserved the Oscar nod he got for it, and he really should have won (of course, it did go to Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump. A worthy alternative).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good choice. However, I disagree about Batman Begins. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Freeman just made it better.