Saturday, May 19, 2007

100 Movies I Need to See

Sigh. This made me feel like I know nothing about film...

MODERN CLASSICS
American Beauty
Sideways
My Cousin Vinny
City of God
Lost in Translation
A History of Violence
There’s Something About Mary

Kill Bill

Almost Famous

Saving Private Ryan
As Good as it Gets
Clerks

CONTROVERSIAL FILMS
Basic Instinct
The Passion of the Christ
Do the Right Thing

JFK

AMERICAN CLASSICS
Amadeus
Manhattan
Hannah and her Sisters
Taxi Driver
The Godfather Part II
Midnight Cowboy
On the Waterfront
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The African Queen
Chinatown
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Maltese Falcon
The Grapes of Wrath
Raging Bull
Apocalypse Now
High Noon
Double Indemnity
A Clockwork Orange
The Philadelphia Story
From Here to Eternity
M*A*S*H
All Quiet on the Western Front
Rebel Without a Cause
Stagecoach
The Silence of the Lambs
Network
The Manchurian Candidate
An American in Paris
Shane
The French Connection
Wuthering Heights
The Gold Rush
Dances With Wolves
American Graffiti
The Deer Hunter
The Wild Bunch
Modern Times
Giant
Platoon
Mutiny on the Bounty
Frankenstein
Easy Rider
Patton
A Place in the Sun
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
The Searchers
Bringing up Baby
The Great Dictator
The Third Man
Caddyshack
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Unforgiven
Citizen Kane (I'm sorry...)
The Birds
Doctor Zhivago
City Lights
Bonnie and Clyde

Yankee Doodle Dandy

FOREIGN FILMS
8 ½
The 400 Blows
Seven Samauri
La Belle et la Bete
Cinema Paradiso
Not One Less
Rashomon
M
Amelie
Ran
Fanny and Alexander
Das Boot
Wild Strawberries
The Seventh Seal
The Bicycle Thief
La Dolce Vita
Run Lola Run
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

INFAMOUS FILMS
Basic Instinct 2
Showgirls
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Leonard Part 6
Gigli
Mommie Dearest
Catwoman

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Gold Rush was good. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid is great. Citizen Kane is blah. I hate the ending of Rebel Without a Cause. From Here to Eternity was eh, nothing special.
The Bicycle Thief was stupid, imho.

Rob Jacks said...

I've seen most of what's on that list. Although I noticed some modern classics and american classics that were definitely left out.

btw... what does "imho" stand for. :-P

Anonymous said...

Wow Brian, I've seem most of the films on your list. And I'm only 13! Anyways, I probably haven't seen most of the films you've seen.

Brian Erickson said...

Anonymous #2--

I dunno...I don't want to give away my age, but I'll just say that I'm not old enough to legally see R-rated films (but I manage to see them). Thing is, I just started being dedicated to watching classic films about a year and a half ago.

RC said...

wow...this a good starter list for sure.