Friday, May 11, 2007

Predictions: Round Two (Best Actress)

BEST ACTRESS
1. Natalie Portman-The Other Boleyn Girl-I seriously cannot see any of these actresses winning, but if I had to pick one, I guess it would be her. And yes, I know, I'm denying my short lived "The Other Boleyn Girl will bomb" theory.

2. Norah Jones-My Blueberry Nights-After the Jennifer Hudson win, they won't award another singer an acting award, but if this does well at Cannes, who knows?

3. Angelina Jolie-A Mighty Heart-She desperately needs another nomination. The summer release date is a little concerning, but she might stand out.

4. Sarah Jessica Parker-Spinning into Butter-Losing buzz fast.

5. Meryl Streep-Lions for Lambs-It's Streep. C'mon.

IN THE RUNNING
6. Claire Danes-Evening-She's a pretty talented girl, but the early release date and being snubbed by the Academy in the past doesn't help her case.

7. Cate Blanchett-The Golden Age-The trailer was pretty awful.

8. Helena Bonham Carter-Sweeney Todd-Message to my fellow Oscar lovers: unless they change everything about the show, THIS IS A LEADING PERFORMANCE. I don't think she'll make the cut. Such a shame, too. A great role played by a great, albeit strange, actress.

9. Anne Hathaway-Becoming Jane-It's being released in August. Enough said.

10. Catherine Keener-An American Crime-The release date is WAY too early for AMPAS.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all did see the same trailer for The Golden Age right? Clearly we did not. The overdue for a nomination Anne Hathaway is denied because of a summer release but already won Angelina Jolie is not.

Brian Erickson said...

Anne Hathaway is really overdue, but I don't think the Academy will embrace her unless she is absolutely fantastic. The Academy likes to award previous winners with nominations, so that's why I'm predicting Jolie.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't too impressed with The Golden Age trailer either. As for Helena Bonham Carter, my bet is that she goes supporting even if her role isn't cut down.

Brian Erickson said...

That would be a weird move. I mean, if she went lead, there would be no oppritunity to split votes. If she went supporting, she would have to compete with other supporting performances in the film. And her character is in every single scene except for one.

Rob Jacks said...

I think it will be a battle to see which Afghanistan film, Lions or Charles, will get the acting award noms.

Anonymous said...

Also, Catherine Keener's performance is supposed to be spectacular. I'm almost sure she'll get a nomination, not sure about a win though.

Rob Jacks said...

I'd like to see a post on here about how they are already making a freaking Spiderman 4. And how that director might be doing the Hobbit b/c of Jackson's argument with New Line Cinema. If there's no jackson, i worry.

RC said...

what about reese witherspoon for rendition?

or jennifer connoly in reservation road?

hum...maybe i need to stack together a list.

Theron in the valley of elah?