Saturday, May 19, 2007

No Country for Old Men: Oscar Bound?

One of my favorite film critics, Emanuel Levy, who almost always agrees with other critics, has given "No Country for Old Men" a glowing review, after seeing it at the Cannes Film Festival (he also wasn't crazy about My Blueberry Nights. Disappointing...). It can be seen here. The question is: will this turn out to be a contender? Let's see...


PRO: Cormac McCarthy, who wrote the book the film is based on, just won the Pulitzer Prize for his brilliant novel The Road.
CON: That may mean that people want to see more of The Road than of No Country for Old Men.

PRO: The brilliant Cohen brothers are back, with what looks like a black comedy with a Fargo feel to it.
CON: They've been repeatedly snubbed for everything but Fargo.

PRO: This year, the spotlight is on Cannes more than it's ever been berfore. If this does well at the festival, it could do well elsewhere, too.
CON: There are only a handful of Cannes hits that have gone on to do well at the Oscars.

I'm really looking forward to this film!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words cannot describe my love for the Coen Bros. I really hope this is an Oscar hit.

Rob Jacks said...

Somehow I don't think it will... just my opinion. I think it's going to go up against too many better films this year.

Julie Christie in Away From Her... I'm seeing this film tonight! I can't wait!

RC said...

i too hope this is fargo-esque in quality.

there's some great actors in this film and i'd love to see some of them get some oscar love.