Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Will Controversy Effect The Kite Runner's Oscar Chances?

First off, thanks to IMDb user "Alison-I" for providing me with this great link that explains all of the controversy surrounding upcoming contender "The Kite Runner." The question on our minds is: will the controversy keep it from doing well at this year's Oscars?

To me, the answer to that question is all dependent on the reviews. I think that this just makes an obstacle it will have to overcome, and raises the bar for the quality it will need to be in order for the Academy to recognize it. It also depends on how the issue at hand is put to rest (if it is), and who's side AMPAS takes. Most likely, it will fade out by the time the film is actually released, and, in my opinion, Dreamworks has handled the situation pretty well. We'll all see next month, but until then, I think that I might start factoring The Kite Runner out of my predix not only because of this, but also because it looks a bit bland (though, for some reason, I have not read the book). Stay tuned.

No comments: