Sunday, October 7, 2007

Atonement: In Review

Atonement: In Review

Fortunately for me, the best film of the year, so far, has been in England since exactly a month ago. I must admit, I was not interested in the film whatsoever when it was first announced and even when the trailer was released. This weekend, I came to the realization that one of the top Oscar buzzed projects of the year was within my grasp and I had not yet taken the liberty to go and see it. So, I decided that this weekend I would go out and see three different films. I saw Ratatouille, finally, at an advanced screening (it doesn't come out in the UK until next week), Michael Clayton (it has been here since the 28th of September, review to come at a later time), and Atonement. Atonement is currently 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and rightfully so. When I saw this figure before I saw the film, I laughed. I couldn't believe that this film that I was so sure would be all visual delight and no depth was getting such outstanding reviews. So, as I walked into the theatre today expecting nothing more than a frivolous period piece, I was very pleasantly surprised. As I said earlier, this is the best film of the year so far. When the film starts, the first five minutes or so resemble a "Pride and Prejudice 2". About ten to fifteen minutes later, I realized that it was anything but. You are thrown into this brilliantly weaved story about lies, deception, misunderstandings, sex, lust, war, violence, love, hate, redemption, and so much more. This is the first film that I've seen in a long time that I have genuinely wished that it would not end.

Keira Knightely and James McAvoy are both fantastic. While I can't say that either of them are likely to win, they are both extremely worthy of at least being nominated for Academy Awards, McAvoy being the more likely for a win. As far as the acting goes, though, the film belongs to Saoirse Ronan and Romola Garai as Briony, at ages 13 and 18 respectively. They both deserve Oscar nominations although the sad reality is that there is a better chance of just one being nominated. I would say that Ronan, who is the better of the two, would get the nomination over Garai. Vanessa Redgrave also has, although it is basically a cameo, a small role as the much older Briony. In her very limited scene(s), she is brilliant. While there aren't really any other possible contenders who could come out of this film, the whole ensemble really is terrific.

The technicalities of the film are just as good. The score used in Atonement is one of the best that I have heard in a very long time...it uses a typewriter as an instrument. That's highly original and also gives the film a very cool tone. I assure you, the score is a major contender at the Oscars. The editing is crisp, the cinematography is wonderful, the sets are gorgeous...every technical aspect of the film is fantastic. One particular scene that is engraved in my mind is, during the portion of the film that deals with Robbie (McAvoy) in the war, a scene at the beach in Dunkirk. There are soldiers all over the beach, some are laughing and playing around on abandoned carnival rides while some others are crying on the beach and miserable. In the background, you see a ferris wheel and a pavilion of soldiers singing. It captures the mood of this part of the film unbelievably well and I was completely moved.

Atonement is a fantastic film in all aspects whether it be the superb direction of Joe Wright, the masterful score, or the exceptional performances from the cast. The film is a triumph and completely deserves the title of Best Picture at the upcoming Academy Awards at the beginning of next year. Congratulations Atonement, you not only exceeded my expectations but went so far beyond what I expected that you might as well be in outer space. A

3 comments:

Brian Erickson said...

I have not heard a review for this film that does not worship it. I cannot WAIT for this!

Harry said...

This was an excellent review. I’m enormously anticipating this film now. I haven’t heard of any person who has disliked this film. I’ll definitely see it when it gets released in Colombia (which will be like in February ’08 before the Oscars lol.)

Anonymous said...

I saw this film a couple of days ago and couldn't agree more with the review. Completely gob-smacked.