Sunday, October 14, 2007

No Country for Old Men: NOVEL in Brief Review


I've just finished Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men"; the novel that the Coen Bros. buzzed film is adapted from. If the Coens do a faithful remake, which they have said on record that they have, then this will be one hell of a film. Llewellyn Moss is an interesting character and it is very entertaining to read about his methods of hiding the money, getting around, staying hidden, etc. The dialogue is quick and well written and the Coens' trailers have shown that their adapted dialogue is in the same vein...if not word for word. Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (played by Tommy Lee Jones in the film) provides some of the best monologues I've read in a while. He serves as the moral fiber (while also demonstrating the mistakes that even an admirable man can make) of the novel, sort of like Marge Gunderson in "Fargo" but also completely different. The real star of the novel is Anton Chigurh, one of the best developed characters I've ever read in a novel and Javier Bardem will surely get a nomination if he plays the character right (which he does in the trailer). McCarthy's descriptions of Texas, gunfights, and lack of ethics in the novel are truly captivating. The story goes to places that I would have never thought of from the material that we've been shown. I highly recommend this. A

Here are possible Big 8 nominations that the film could receive from what I gathered from the novel-

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor- Tommy Lee Jones
Best Supporting Actor- Javier Bardem (obviously, he looks to be the best villain since Lecter)
Best Supporting Actress- Kelly Macdonald
Best Adapted Screenplay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

McCarthy is the best writer in the past 5 years.

I don't think Kelly McDonald could get a nom. Her character is so unimportant in the novel other than to give dimension to Moss.

I also originally thought that Tommy Lee Jones was a miscast character. I pictured Bell much older-looking and softer, without Jones' gritty intensity.

The Coen bros. are the absolutely perfect choice to direct this, however and I can not wait!

Anonymous said...

I disagree about Kelly Macdonald's role in the novel. I thought that in her few (brief) scenes she might be able to pull them off and then in her final scene she could really do well. I don't think she will be nominated but I think she will be worthy of a nomination.

But yeah, fantastic novel.