Wednesday, October 31, 2007

For Halloween...Top 5 Horror Movies

Call it cliche, but, in honor of Halloween, I've decided to do a little entry on my top 5 horrors. I'm separating thrillers from the category because I consider the two to be completely different genres. I would consider a "horror" movie to be the kind of film where things jump out at you and you have trouble sleeping at night. A "thriller", in my book, would be a movie that doesn't have a lot of violence or screams, but keeps your heart pounding until the end (almost like a mystery). But my top 5 thrillers would be:

1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
2. Jaws (1975)
3. Rear Window (1954)
4. North by Northwest (1959)
5. King Kong (1933)

So, here we go with horror:

HORROR
5. Carrie (1976)
If you weren't a bit hoarse the day afterwards because of how loud you screamed during that final graveyard dream sequence, you might want to check your pulse. Like all Stephen King films and novels (except The Shining. Sorry), Carrie is unique in that it is not typical horror film gruel. The film also features some meaningful plot development, insightful observations about high school and fantastic performances from Sissy Spacek and, in a performance snubbed of a statuette (though she did receive a nomination, surprisingly), Piper Laurie.

4. Alien (1979)

I almost categorized this as a thriller, but it is so often referred to as a horror that I kept it here. I suppose I understand why that is, but you need to know what you're getting into before you watch Alien. The majority of this film is a very entertaining thriller. You only see the alien itself once in the famous stomach-burst scene in the first hour and a half. But don't let that fend you off; this is still a fantastic movie that gave me a fear of outer space (don't ask).


3. Misery (1990)
Like with Alien, this could easily be considered a thriller, but it's not quite there. Either way, I love this film. It and "Napoleon Dynamite" are my two most quoted films. Every time someone says the word "Misery", I have to control myself to keep from screaming out "HE DIDN'T GET OUT OF THE COCK-A-DOODLE CAR!" The best part about this film is Carl Reiner's inclusion of humor. Of course it is far from a comedy, but the ultra black comedy in this film makes it all the more enjoyable...and terrifying.

2. Psycho (1960)
Though some would be surprised to hear that this movie is not just about a woman getting stabbed in a shower, "Psycho" is downright creepy. And excellent. Truly Hitchcock's best film, "Psycho" is, contrary to popular belief, about a...well...psycho. Not a shower (but don't get me wrong...the shower scene was by far the best part). It is this movie's well-thought out plotline and compelling characters that make it all the scarier.


1. The Exorcist (1973)
Often referred to as the scariest movie of all time, but rarely as the best horror movie of all time. The fact is, it's both. Never in my life have I been so scared about anything--movie or otherwise. I mean, that face that they flash across the screen...eek. I've seen this film many times before, and I'm watching it again tonight, and I'm sure that I'll be just as mind-numbingly terrified as I have been in the past. Oh, boy...it sure is Halloween.


Stay safe :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Exorcist over Psycho? Psycho is a masterpiece of suspense. The Exorcist wasn't bad but it didn't come close to how scary the book was.