Saturday, October 13, 2007

New Predix: Best Picture/Director

BEST PICTURE
1. Atonement-I know everyone is predicting it, but seriously...they've got good reason. Just look at the reviews...

2. There Will be Blood-After a few months, I have a feeling that the buzz will reach the level of the above.

3. No Country for Old Men-Another one to watch out for. I sincerely think that this is the return of the Coen brothers...

4. Juno-...because I need a comedy in the lineup until it's impossible.

5. Charlie Wilson's War-I thought that the trailer was very underrated, and I still forsee this as a hit.
IN THE RUNNING
6. The Kite Runner-I've still got a good feeling, but the buzz is fleeting.

7. Sweeney Todd-My prediction: a hit with audiences and critics, but not the Academy.

8. The Savages-The once sure-thing comedy is now being overshadowed by Juno. And its lack of festival submission is bewildering.

9. Into the Wild-Seriously, where is this buzz coming from?

10. American Gangster-The buzz has vanished. At last.


BEST DIRECTOR
1. Paul Thomas Anderson-There Will be Blood-I have a strong feeling that this will be the film of 2007, but I'm not ready to predict it for BP yet. So we'll go with Best Director.

2. Joe Wright-Atonement-The buzz is really too strong to resist in any way.

3. Joel and Ethan Cohen-No Country for Old Men-Dual directors have it tough, but if this film is as successful as I think it will be...

4. Marc Forster-The Kite Runner-I have a feeling that the loss of buzz is only temporary. Let's hope so, because Forster really deserves a nomination.

5. Mike Nichols-Charlie Wilson's War-Am I the only one that still has confidence in this project?
IN THE RUNNING
6. Tim Burton-Sweeney Todd-Reviews will tell...

7. David Cronenberg-Eastern Promises-Despite the fantastic reviews, the buzz has not lasted.

8. Jason Reitman-Juno-I actually think he has a pretty good chance, but sleeper comedies are rarely rewarded in Best Director.

9. Todd Haynes-I'm Not There-The film will probably be rewarded as a whole in the Best Supporting Actress category.

10. Tamara Jenkins-The Savages-I'm losing my faith quickly...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "Charlie Wilson's War" could be considered the "comedy" for this year. So could "No Country for Old Men." Very dark, yes, but it's the Coen brothers.

Anonymous said...

"No Country for Old Men", while having dark humor, should not be considered a comedy. I've read the book and it definitely is a thriller first. The actual material in the novel, besides the whole police set up, is quite different from "Fargo".