Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dan in Real Life in Review


Wow, we have been blogging a LOT today. Must mean it's almost Oscar season :-). And speaking of Oscar contenders, watch out for Dan in Real Life. I saw it at a sneak preview, and I was unbelievably impressed. I don't want to give anything away, because I loved having a sense of not having any idea what was going to happen when I saw it, so I'll just say that the script was extremely smart, funny and realistic; so rare to find in a big-budget comedy anymore. But, of course, the main attraction here is Steve Carell, who not only showcases his well-known comedic skills here, but also shows some impressive dramatic work that could easily make him into Hollywood's next big leading man--and he's 45 years old. But I have a sense that he'll get the GG nod and maybe even an Oscar nomination if the movie is as successful as it should be. Be sure to catch this one next weekend. A-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those movies that appears to be really lightweight and without substance in the trailer. But I've been hearing good things, and your review confirms that. Who knows? Maybe this is one of the films that will sneak up on people come awards time.

But I don't think this will garner the Best Actor Golden Globe. I agree with you that they can just do this one over the phone - anything can happen, but I'm pretty sure Depp is a lock for the win.

Anonymous said...

IO think Johnny Depp is a lock for the win, behind him, Ryan Gosling, Glenn Hanshard and Sam Riley