Monday, January 28, 2008

My Thoughts on the SAG Winners

I went 4/5 here. Fairly boring night, except for that one category...

BEST ENSEMBLE: No Country for Old Men
Obvious pick. I'm not sure if this really helps its BP cause, as it was already a near-lock, but his might help a bit. I was actually kind of expecting there to be some huge Act III surprise, but that wasn't exactly a realistic expectation.

BEST ACTOR: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Well, duh. Again, certainly not a surprise. I suppose this helps his campaign, but honestly, it didn't really need help. Great acceptance speech, by the way.

BEST ACTRESS: Julie Christie, Away From Her
I was shocked to see that she was actually there to accept it. I'm glad she was, because she's a real class act. Hopefully she'll accept her Oscar in person as well. Though if there was going to be a huge upset, I think it would be in this category. I just can't see Best Actor AND Best Actress going to former winners. But I'm not stupid enough to predict otherwise...yet.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Naturally. He's probably the biggest lock of the year, closely followed by Day-Lewis. As Josh Brolin said, this is his 497th award.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ruby Dee, American Gangster
My mouth was wide open for about five minutes after her name was announced (to match her amount of screentime, apparently), but, as everyone said this morning, it all makes perfect sense: they wanted to reward a great actress that hasn't gotten anything in the past. That said, I think her chances of winning the Oscar are about the same as they were on Saturday.

1 comment:

Gianni said...

I was also shocked when Ruby Dee won. Sure she is respected, but she was barely in the movie and didn't have much impact.