Tuesday, February 27, 2007

2007 Predictions: The First Batch (Best Picture)

I was going to wait a little longer after this year's awards before I started making '07 predictions, but it seems like, unlike last year, everyone's happy with the results of this year's show and ready to move on to next year. So here we go. This is sooo much fun, because in a few months (okay, like 10), we can look back at these predix and laugh. I'll do one category (only Big 8) every once in a while. Some may be an hour apart, some may be a month apart. The blog will mostly be used now for film reviews, editorials, articles, etc. It's a long way until we get to the Kodak again, so let's get started...

BEST PICTURE
American Gangster-Directed by Ridley Scott, written by Stephen Zallian and starring Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington, this is pure Oscar bait. I really think that it'll be a way for the involved artists to maybe become the hot stuff they once were.

Charlie Wilson's War-Like American Gangster, this is another Oscar darling. It's based on a very successful book, and in the hands of Mike Nichols, that's usually a good thing. The problem is that it stars Tom Hanks, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Julia Roberts; all Oscar winners. I don't think that there will be any acting Oscars that come out of it (except maybe Hanks, if he's lucky). Nominations should be plentiful, though, if the film is indeed a success. And I hear that Amy Adams is in this, and if her role is big enough...

The Kite Runner-Okay, so here's a red flag that these predix aren't going to be right because two of my nominees are about Afghanistan. But I think this is the most likely of them all, especially with Marc Forster of Finding Neverland and Monster's Ball behind the camera.

Lions for Lambs-Wow. A third Afghanistan one. There's a problem right there, but I just can't ignore the cast of Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise. And how much would we all like to see a Robert Redford reprise?

The Other Boleyn Girl-Based on an amazing book and featuring the perfect casting of Natalie Portman, it looks like a serious contender to me. I think that, if it gets the reviews, it will sneak up and become the film to beat. Provided that it's released in mainstream theatres (which I have a bad feeling it won't do).

DON'T COUNT OUT...
(In No Order)

The Simpsons Movie-Just kidding! This could get the best reviews of all time and it wouldn't get nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay even . I just wanted to take this oppritunity to announce that I'm a enormous nerd and this is my most anticipated movie...ever. Just as The Simpsons is my favorite show ever. Its Oscar chances lie only in Best Animated Film, where it probably won't even be nominated in. But come July 26, you will see four teenagers dressed as The Simpsons in a movie theatre.

There Will Be Blood-This is an adaptation of a novel written 80 years ago. It's in the hands of Paul Thomas Anderson, so it might work out, but I really think that this will be dated. Daniel Day-Lewis has an outside chance, though.

3:10 to Yuma-Sorry, but unless you're talking about The Departed (which is LOOSELY based on Foreign Affiars), I really have no tolerance for remakes. The fact that James Mangold of Walk the Line is directing it helps a little, but it's unlikely.

The Golden Age-The fact that this is a sequel to "Elizabeth" (1998) doesn't help. If Cate Blanchett hadn't already won an Oscar, I would be predicting this because she would probably be the performance-oriented Best Picture nominee (like The Queen or Capote), but I think all she can hope for is a nomination. But if it turns out to be a weak year for lead actresses, they might be willing to award a recent winner. You never know...

Sweeney Todd-One of my favorite musicals of all time (and coming from me, that's saying something) has finally made it to the big screen after 28 years of confusion. Party time! Not so much. I wasn't sure about Johnny Depp starring as the infamous barber of Fleet Street, but I've warmed up to him. But with Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter starring and Tim Burton behind the camera, I think this will be lucky if it can pick some acting nominations (and I'm predicting Depp for Best Actor as of now). It really depends on how well it's received. But I have a terrible feeling about this.

My Blueberry Nights-AKA, Norah Jones trying to act. I'm predicting Jones for Best Actress, but I will probably end up laughing out loud at that prediction. If she gives a stellar performance, then this could be a contender for Best Picture to support Jones in Best Actress, but I'm not sure. At all. But I do love her.


Well, that's the first round of Best Picture nominations. Be sure to come back in 10 months to laugh your ass of at them.

No comments: