Monday, February 26, 2007

A Recap of the 2007 Academy Awards

What a great show! The best Oscar telecast I've seen in a LONG time. Let's recap with five good things, and five not-so-good things (in no order)...

THE GOOD
1. Martin Scorsese finally wins Best Director! Woo-hoo! Everyone was on his side in the theatre, and he got a very, very well earned standing ovation.

2. Ellen DeGeneres. Oh my God, she was fantastic! I've always liked her, but now I'm really going to want to watch her show every day if what she did here was anything like she does there. I hope she comes back soon.

3. Alan Arkin takes Best Supporting Actor! Yay!

4. The Departed takes Best Picture. Yes, I was rooting for Little Miss Sunshine and (foolishly) predicting it, but seriously. The Departed was great too.

5. Helen Mirren takes Best Actress. Yes, she was a total lock, but, when I saw those clips, I was reminded of how incredible she was in The Queen. Worthy of the overwhelming praise she received.

THE BAD
1. The Lives of Others takes Best Foreign Langauge Film. I haven't seen the movie, but, like most films, it can't compare to Pan's Labyrinth. But I'm glad it took 3 other awards.

2. "I Need to Wake Up" takes Best Original Song. I like Melissa Etheridge, but seriously. Dreamgirls really should have gotten this for "Love You I Do" or for "Listen."

3. Maggie Gyllenhaal. Um, you're at the Oscars presenting an award. Can you please try to at least look like you're having fun?

4. That guy would show up every once in a while before the commericals to talk about the "surprises" throughout the night. Not only can you not act or talk or whatever it was that you were doing, but you also need to work on making sarcastic comments. Leave the Oscar predix to the bloggers; don't take it to the show. Besides, we're professionals at trying to sound like professionals.

5. Jack Nicholson. I couldn't stand that he announced Best Picture AGAIN, and the horrible look didn't help either.


But don't let the bad get in your way. This was an outstanding ceremony. On to fashion...

BEST DRESSED
Helen MirrenJust right. Simple, but with flavor. The gown of the winner she certainly is (er...was).

and

Reese WitherspoonBest dressed at the Oscars two years in a row. Wow. But really, she looked great.

WORST DRESSED
Ahh, Nicole! You're supposed to be Queen of the Red Carpet (along with Sarah Jessica Parker)! Didn't you learn from Charlize Theron last year that the parrot look just doesn't work out??????????

and

Jennifer Hudson

I love Jennifer Hudson, and I'm glad that she won. I'm also glad that she took off that ridiculious reflective mini-jacket when she got inside. But I'm not going to let her off the hook that easily...


Well, here's to another great Oscar year. Let's have a moment of silence for 2007...















I'll post my first batch of 2008 predix soon (and these are tons of fun; 2007 has already shaped up to be a great year for movies to make up for 2006's crap-fest).

No comments: