Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Look at Best Documentary Feature

Today's category is the ever confusing Best Documentary Feature. The nominees are...

Deliver Us From Evil
An Inconvenient Truth
Iraq in Fragments
Jesus Camp
My Country, My Country

I've seen two--Jesus Camp and An Inconvenient Truth.

DELIVER US FROM EVIL-This received the best reviews for any documentary this year, and frankly, it has the most interesting synopsis. It just didn't get the exposure an Oscar winner normally needs. But, this category has had some rather odd winners in the past. Plus, it has a couple of precursors. It poses some sort of a threat.

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH-Because this is probably the only movie on this list a non-film buff has heard of, it's the frontrunner automatically. Not only that, but it also received a nomination for Best Original Song, which most documentaries never, ever do. This one will be hard, if not impossible, to beat.

IRAQ IN FRAGMENTS-This has won some minor precursors from critics' groups, but it would still be a huge surprise if it took the statuette. And, if nothing else, it will likely split votes with its fellow Iraq-subjected documentary "My Country, My Country."

JESUS CAMP-First of all, let me say that, as a secular liberal, this was an excellent film. If it were up to me, this would be in consideration for Best Picture, let alone Best Documentary Feature. But, sadly, it's not a notably baity subject matter and the Academy will, like in most years where the predictions are unclear, pick the obvious choices. Unfortuately, Jesus Camp won't take the prize.

MY COUNTRY, MY COUNTRY-I take it back. THIS has the best synopsis out of all the documentaries nominated. But, most people haven't heard of, let alone seen, this film. It won't win the Oscar, but it will win a spot on my TV screen when it comes out on DVD (assuming that it will be carried).

WILL WIN: An Inconvenient Truth
SHOULD WIN: Jesus Camp
IN ORDER OF LIKELINESS:
1. An Inconvenient Truth
2. Deliver Us From Evil
3. Iraq in Fragments
4. Jesus Camp
5. My Country, My Country

Tomorrow: Best Animated Film

No comments: