Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Look at Best Makeup

The nominees are...

La Vie en Rose
Norbit
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I'VE SEEN: 2/3: La Vie en Rose and (sadly) Norbit. I had absolutely no desire to see Pirates.
I PREDICTED: 1/3. I knew Norbit had a chance, but I refused to believe that the Academy would nominate the worst reviewed film of the year. Pirates was a moderate surprise for me. I predicted 300 & Sweeney Todd instead.

LA VIE EN ROSE-Very weak year for makeup considering that this is the undisputed frontrunner. Granted the age makeup in the film is extremely impressive, it seems more like a nomination-worthy effort rather than what it's become.


NORBIT-Quite frankly...the makeup in the film was really good. That said, I sincerely hope and doubt that the Academy will honor the film here. If so, then I think there is a very good chance that Oscar fans will be just about ready to kill themselves. I know I will.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END-I'm sure the makeup here is good (they did spend $300 million making the movie), but lack of other technical nods sincerely hurts its chances here. I would say that it could win just to honor the film itself, but is this film really worthy of any honor at all? Reviews seem to indicate no.

WILL WIN: La Vie en Rose
SHOULD WIN: La Vie en Rose

IN ORDER OF LIKELINESS:
1. La Vie en Rose
2. Norbit
3. Pirates of the Caribbean

TOMORROW: Best Visual Effects

No comments: