Monday, February 4, 2008

A Look at Best Sound Editing

Perhaps you remember this from last year. When this series starts, it means that we have 20 days until the Oscars (!!!!!!!!!). This is where I go category-by-category and make predictions; one category per day until the day of the show, where I make my BP prediction and finalize everything else. We start today with Best Sound Editing. The nominees are...

The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood
Transformers

I'VE SEEN: 3/5: Ratatouille, No Country for Old Men & There Will Be Blood. I know that makes me look like I hate popcorn movies...trust me, I don't. I just didn't see many action movies this year, mostly because I was scared to go after Spider-Man 3. But, after Bourne got some of the best review of the year, I might need to catch up...
I PREDICTED: 3/5. I had 3:10 to Yuma and Hairspray in favor of Bourne and Transformers.

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM-Some people are predicting it...I might. This could easily be where it ends up being rewarded. I just have a bit of a hard time seeing it happen.


NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN-Don't count this out at all. I could really see the Academy going absolutely crazy for No Country and rewarding it in every category it's nominated for.

RATATOUILLE-My tentative prediction. I'm always surprised when animated films don't get nominated in this category (and sound mixing), seeing as how they created all of the sound from scratch. The sound in this sounded even more authentic than in that of a live-action film. Keep an eye on this one.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD-The sound quality here was good, but I am a bit surprised that it got in. Don't depend on it.

TRANSFORMERS-The most popular summer action movie of the year (granted not the highest grossing) will probably be awarded in the Visual Effects category instead.

WILL WIN: Ratatouille
SHOULD WIN: Ratatouille

IN ORDER OF LIKELINESS:
1. Ratatouille
2. No Country for Old Men
3. The Bourne Ultimatum
4. Transformers
5. There Will Be Blood

TOMORROW: Best Sound Mixing

No comments: