Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Look at Best Visual Effects

The nominees are...

The Golden Compass
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Transformers

I PREDICTED: 2/3. I had 300 in place of The Golden Compass, my logic being that people actually saw 300 (for some reason).
I'VE SEEN: 0/3. I spent my summer at the movie theater with dumb comedies instead of action films. Apparently that was a bad choice. That said, I've seen enough previews

THE GOLDEN COMPASS: The visuals here looked pretty impressive, but I sincerely doubt that the Academy should be any different from everyone else in America and actually see the film.PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END-You would think its repulsively large budget would give it frontrunner status in this category, but alas, the reviews were too bad for it to win anything. Well...probably.

TRANSFORMERS-An allegedly super-fun action movie looks like the perfect candidate for this category. I'm just about ready to call this a lock, but we really shouldn't rule out the possibility for either of these two to upset.

WILL WIN: Transformers
SHOULD WIN: The Golden Compass (I guess)

IN ORDER OF LIKELINESS:
1. Transformers
2. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. The Golden Compass

TOMORROW: Best Costume Design

No comments: