Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Look at Best Actress

The nominees are...

Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie - Away From Her
Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
Laura Linney - The Savages
Ellen Page - Juno

I'VE SEEN: 4/5. Very subjected to change, as I may be seeing The Savages this weekend.
I PREDICTED: 4/5. Like most, I predicted Angelina Jolie would get in over Laura Linney.

BLANCHETT-A not-all-that-acclaimed performance in a mediocre film. Besides, she'll win for her average performance in I'm Not There instead.

CHRISTIE-See, logic tells me to go with her, and I think there's a very good chance they will. However, there's something about predicting her that goes against my morals. I always need to make one surprise prediction in one of the last 4 categories to keep me on my toes all night, so I'm kind of steering away from Christie.

COTILLARD-After her "surprise" BAFTA victory, she's being predicted as an 11th hour upset. I'm probably going to go with that. I can really see this happening (and it couldn't be for a better performance).

LINNEY-She's gotten some buzz, and I do think it's interesting, but I believe (and hope) that she'll have a Helen Mirren year and win every precursor leading up to the Oscar. She deserves better than this. However, she looks unbelievable in her clips.

PAGE-I can REALLY see this happening, but I kind of hope it doesn't. Don't get me wrong; Page gave one of the three best performances of the year (with Day-Lewis and Cotillard); but I hope that in maybe 10 years she'll give a knock-out performance that will win her an Oscar. This is a star-making performance, but I would be a bit disappointed to see her win an Oscar--simply because it would make it more difficult to win one later on.

WILL WIN: Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose...for now
SHOULD WIN: Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose

IN ORDER OF LIKELINESS:
1. Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
2. Julie Christie - Away From Her
3. Ellen Page - Juno
4. Laura Linney - The Savages
5. Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age

TOMORROW: Best Actor

My god, I cannot wait for Sunday.

No comments: